"Oh yeah ... " You say to yourself "They just don't understand my position ... When they will get to manage a team like this, only then they will understand .... " You console yourself.
In spite of the deadlines and the pressure, you think do so much for your team but do not really understand why they always throw up bile against you at your back.
Yes, they do. You know that.
Get of of your shell, dear manager and leader ... here are the reasons why they hate you.
- You Micromanage : You are a control freak and know each and every detail of what they are working on. You are forever on their heads , asking for status and try to control each and every decision. Your team feels suffocated and they think that it would be better if you did the job rather than them slogging over it . Because of this, they never take ownership of the work.
- You always keep your hands very clean : You are always assigning work. Doing work or making your hands dirty ? Have you ever rolled up your sleeves and worked along with your team ? Ever done any project yourself ? Never ever.
- You treat them as mere resources : You do not know anything about your team members - their likes, dislikes, family, priorities etc. You treat them mainly as billable/non billable resources - they are just numbers in your resource plan. Hence you cannot empathize with them and they cannot include you in their joys and sorrows.
- You don't fight for them : Everybody makes mistakes. Including you. When some crisis occurs due to some team member, you do not own the mistake, instead point finger at him/her. You do not fight for your team at the appropriate places. You team can feel it . And they hate you for this.
- You treat them like mushrooms : You keep your team in the dark and feed them junk. Like cultivating mushrooms. You keep information with yourself, telling yourself "they do not need to know this " . You are not transparent. This generates water-cooler talks and grapevines feed on the gossips thus generated. Your team has a hidden antennae and can feel important information being withheld from them. You lose their trust. Someday, even if you tell them something, they will not believe you. Trust me !
There are a few more points. But I think that is enough food for thought for you in this post.
Think about it . Ponder . And then change yourself to become a good leader !
Yes, you can (Read the post)!